Saturday, November 2, 2013

¡Noticias de Alicia! - ¡Bienvenidos!

¡Bienvenidos familia, amigas, y amigos de los Catbirds! Welcome Catbirds’ families and friends! For this school year, 2013-14, I will be teaching Spanish to the youngest members of our AFS community and I couldn’t be more excited. In fact, our journey has already begun.

The Catbirds will be having Spanish classes every Tuesday morning at 8:30 and they are super excited! This week I paid them a visit and began by introducing the program as a refresher to old friends and to familiarize our new ones. 
 

Acquisition happens naturally and subconsciously when we are surrounded by another language. My goal is to spend the first few minutes of each class speaking in English to the children, as I explain the day’s activity. As the children gain some comprehension of the Spanish language, I will then present the introduction of the day’s activity solely in the Spanish language.




I explained to the Catbirds that there are twenty-one countries that speak Spanish and at the beginning of each class, someone will pick where we will visit for that day. Once we determine our destination, we will fly to that country.

I presented to the Catbirds my red sequin vest and explained that when I put this vest on, it indicates that I am the Spanish teacher and therefore I will be speaking solely in Spanish. When we land, we will do our best to only speak in Spanish, the official language of the country. 







And, at the end of our visit we will have a special friend see us off back to the United States. Ask your child who this special friend is.



Vocabulary introduced:
Buenos días- Good morning
¿Cómo estás? – How are you?
Yo muy bien gracias – I am well, thank you!
¿Y tú?- and you?
el – he
ella – she
nosotros - us
levantence–stand-up
sientencen– sit
alas - wings
montence –get on
vuela– fly
avión– airplane
círculo– circle
pájaro - bird
¡Adiós! -Good-bye!
hasta luego – until later
¡Gracias! – thank you
de nada – you’re welcome

Until my next noticias (news) ....

Paz,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment